In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve started to cook quite a bit since I moved to Pittsburgh. I’ve started to play a game that I think all of you should try and it is pretty simple, especially if you are cooking just for one. Here are the directions if you want to try it out:
- Buy and freeze a variety of meat. In my case this means ground beef, steak, pork chops, pork loin, boneless skinless chicken breast, chicken leg quarters, and lamb chops.
- The night before you are going to cook, take something out of the freezer and put it on a plate in your fridge to thaw out.
- Come home from a day at work and without any prior planning on the way home or throughout the day, rummage through your cabinets, pantry, drawers, and refrigerator for things that will go with this unplanned meal and cook.Now while I can’t recommend this enough if you feel comfortable with the way things might come out, this is a real fun way to experiment with food and create a really interesting dish or to just make something without a recipe. Here are some things I’ve ended up with:
- Romaine salad with grilled chicken breast with a raspberry vinaigrette.
- Teriyaki Chicken with grilled zucchini, asparagus, and mushrooms with basmati rice.
- Chicken Piccata with sautéed mushrooms (I didn’t have capers) and angel hair.
Those were just a few recent examples and I know they sound simple, but I want to hear about what you are cooking. Is it something really simple that seems complicated? Is it from scratch? I want to hear.